Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pasta Fagioli (Hearty Italian Bean Soup)

This soup takes me back to childhood where I remember sitting with my parents at our favorite Italian Restaurante - Giuseppe's and me always ordering Pasta Fagioli - "Fagioli" means "beans" in Italian. This delicious soup is traditionally made with white beans, pasta and vegetables. I've recreated my favorite childhood soup and I think I've really mastered the flavors that I so dearly remember and love. This soup is perfect for any time of year so I hope enjoy it as much as I have.

Ingredients:
- 1 lb. pasta, any variety. I used veggie pasta
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups diced tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1 vegetable bullion cube
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 parsnip roots, finely diced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup parmasan cheese
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- salt
- pepper
- dried oregano
- paprika
- garlic powder

To Make:
In a large soup pot, add about 1/4 cup olive oil, heat on medium heat and add in 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes. Toast the flakes for about 30 seconds on medium heat. Next add the parsnips, celery and carrots. Mix together and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Next add in the onions and garlic. Lightly season with salt. Add more olive oil if needed. Once the veggies have sauteed for about 8 minutes total, add in 1 cup vegetable broth and stir in the tomato paste. Mix together until the mixture is thick.

Next, add in the diced tomatoes in tomato juice. Mix together. Then add the water and the vegetable bullion cube. Mix together. Add 1 tsp of the following: pepper, dried oregano, paprika, garlic powder. Add 1/4 tsp more of salt. Mix together. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes before slowly adding in the cheese. Mix while adding the cheese. Add in half of the diced basil.

Cook for 20 minutes on medium heat stirring every 5 minutes then reduce to medium low and cook an additional 10 minutes.

Lastly, boil the pasta until al-dente. Drain and mix with olive oil.

To serve, place a heap of pasta in the middle of a soup bowl. Ladle in 3 scoops of soup. Top with freshly chopped basil.

Begin by salting a pot of water and bringing it to a boil on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment